Jeweled smoked rice
Updated: Jun 18, 2020
When the humble rice goes Hollywood. Where are the paparazzi !!! This Rice should not just be a side dish but the star. Smoked basmati rice cooked with spiced ghee, fresh turmeric and crowned with loads of ghee sautéed nuts, fresh dill and ruby red pomegranate
3 Tbsp spiced ghee or plain ghee
1 inch peeled and diced fresh turmeric root
2 cups smoked basmati rice, rinsed well if you can’t find the smoked kind just use regular basmati.
3 cups of hot water, add enough to cover the rice by half an inch.
1 bay leaf
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 a cup fresh dill
1/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds or dried cherries if poms are not in season
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup pistachios, toasted
1/4 cup roughly chopped cashews
Salt and pepper
1. Melt 2 tbls of ghee in a pot
2. Add in the rice, turmeric and garlic and saute for a few minutes until translucent
3. Pour in the boiling water and add the bay leaf. Stir to combine, season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
4. Bring to boil, cover the pot and cook on low to medium heat for about 15 -20 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Turn off the heat and let the rice sit covered, for another 10 minutes.
5. When the rice is done, fluff it with a fork, remove the bay leaf , and the fresh turmeric. Add the fresh dill and fluff one more time. Plate the rice mountain high on a platter.
6. Toast the nuts in 1 tbls of ghee. Scatter the pomegranate seeds and nuts with the ghee on top of the rice to garnish. This rice is perfect on its own or as a side to any roasted or grilled meats.